Traveling is one of my favorite things to do – yours too, I’m sure. I even like flying. What is harder for most travelers, though, are those long-haul flights. I am used to flying at least 10 hours to get to New York, so I am used to long flights, and with getting used to it, comes wisdom. How does one survive a long-haul flight? There are a few must-haves you need to bring along with you to make your flight as comfortable as possible and for it to pass as quickly as possible (unless you’re flying first-class, in which case I would milk it for all I could!).
1. Layer your clothing and wearing socks! Despite the fact that your flight may be in the middle of summer, bring with you warm clothes. Flights are cold and as well they should be considering the amount of germs that are flying through the air. Socks are necessary unless you want your toes to go numb – especially on a very long flight. I always fly with a lightweight scarf, my high neck oversized sweater, tights and a t shirt. Comfort is key.
2. Headphones! This one is the most important one here. If you want to sleep, watch a movie or listen to music, you’re going to need those priceless little ear pods. There is nothing like having to pay $5 for the less than adequate airline grade headphones.
3. Sleeping pill. If you have trouble on a plane or are traveling to a place where you will need to be up and running immediately – take a sleeping pill on the flight. However, remember that a sleeping pill is to be taken after takeoff (you don’t want to take the pill and then something go wrong with the plane and having to get off while under the influence). Also, if your flight is less than 6 hours a leg, don’t do it.
4. Drink… water! Flying is one of the most dehydrating activities around. As soon as you get on the plane you already start drying up. Make sure to have water around you all the time, and drink it.
5. Bring your own snacks. Buying food at the airport is very expensive but sometimes it is worse to be stuck on a plane with food you hate and no option of getting something you like. If you can, get yourself a few snacks at the airport before boarding your flight so as to make sure that you have something to nosh on if needed.
After all of this, just sit back and relax. Time passes and eventually your super long flight will land!